In the latest SBC Podcast I am joined by Harry Stewart-Moore, a gambling law specialist who works as Litigator Partner in the Gardner Leader Dispute Resolution team.
You may associate high powered lawyers with corporate bookmakers but Harry is different as he specialises in working for punters against these multi-million pound behemoths.
Jockeys, horse racing owners and high-rolling punters – Harry has a history of dealing with litigation in all of these fields, often representing David against Goliath.
Giving him unique insight into the workings of disputes between bookmakers and punters, with extensive experience of dealing with regulators and other industry bodies too.
An In-Depth Chat With An Experienced Industry litigator
In this episode, Harry and I discuss:
- Harry’s father’s impact on his career choice (& love of gambling!)
- Gambling and what Harry has learnt working with successful gamblers
- Cases, clients and the life of a gambling lawyer
- The increase in punter vs. bookmaker disputes and the possible reasons for this
- The most common issues that Harry deals with
- The lengths that bookmakers will go to to avoid paying liabilities
- The anatomy of a gambling dispute case
- AML & other regulatory checks and how bookmakers weaponise them
- The Gambling Commission
- The National Lottery & the Gambling Commission’s attitude towards it
- The regulatory future in the UK & the growth of the black market
- Criminal elements’ hold on certain gambling jurisdictions
- The law and how it relates to black market betting
- The White Paper and Harry’s take on ‘frictionless’ affordability checks
- How issues with law and regulation keep reappearing
- The competitive advantage that major firms have when dealing with onerous checks and regulation
- IBAS, eCogra and how dispute resolution services just aren’t working
- Bookmaker Terms and Conditions and how some are drafted to shaft punters
- How treating ‘skilled’ and casino/fixed odds betting differently could well help with regulation and dealing with problem gambling
- How to access Harry’s legal expertise!
I can’t think of a previous guest who was as unique as Harry and it was fascinating to learn about his work and some of the cases he has been involved in.
For anyone looking for legal support in the gambling dispute arena he is no doubt the man to go to!