In the latest Smart Betting Club Podcast I am joined by ‘poacher turned gamekeeper’ David Lovell, who is one half of the duo that runs the independent bookmaking firm, DragonBet alongside his brother, James.
Immersed in the betting world from an early age thanks to their bookmaking father, John Lovell, both David and James have recently launched dragonbet.co.uk to go alongside their on-course bookmaking in Wales.
David provides a refreshing vision for what a bookmaker should be as we discuss the mechanics of running a smaller firm and how they differentiate themselves from the faceless corporate books.
In-depth Chat with DragonBet
In this episode, David and I discuss:
- The Lovells’ history in bookmaking
- The innovations that David’s father John introduced into the industry
- How the Lovell brothers complement each other and have the right mix of skills to make their business work
- The inspiration behind DragonBet, its Welsh identity and pricing up markets that no-one else does
- ‘White Label’ bookmaking – how it works, its benefits and its drawbacks
- Hosting casino and E-Sport products on the DragonBet website
- The day-to-day challenges of running a bookmaker operation & the regulatory changes on the horizon
- Managing sharp punters and how David views them differently from arbers or fast-feeders
- On-course bookmaking, the benefits of face-to-face interaction with customers and the challenges that rail bookmakers are up against
- The Lovell brothers’ future plans for DragonBet
David was a fascinating guest and it was so informative to learn about the bookmaking industry and day-to-day operations at an independent firm.
More on Firms Like DragonBet
Many of us have grown tired of dealing with the impersonal and incompetent service at larger bookmakers and here at the SBC we have been doing lots of work to profile firms like DragonBet and what they can offer smart bettors.
An SBC profile of DragonBet (and other likeminded bookmakers) is available on our regularly updated Independent Bookmaker page, providing a comprehensive summary of the different options available with these lesser known firms.
We also invite your comments and experiences on this page as we build up a dossier of helpful information for those of you looking to bet away from the main firms we all know about!