In the latest SBC Podcast I am joined by Chris Poole, the Head Of Trading for Bet Victor and an essential X (Twitter) follow as he has a quite unique account, calling out the worst betting related boasting!
Chris has a wealth of experience, working his way up the bookmaking industry career ladder via multiple firms before settling into his current role with Bet Victor in Gibraltar.
Despite initially specialising on horse racing trading, Chris now oversees all of Bet Victor’s sports business, with over people 60 working in his team.
Alongside this, Chris has recently started a weekly Twitter ‘Spaces’ chat with the professional punter (and former SBC Podcast guest!), Johnny Dineen.
It was brilliant to get Chris onto the show to provide different perspectives from many of our previous guests as his job relates to stopping winners rather than finding them! I really enjoyed this chat and I am sure that you will too!
An In-Depth Chat with an Experienced Industry Insider!
In this episode, Chris and I discuss:
- The birth of ‘After timing Ansell’ on Twitter, the issues that it caused and Chris’s current social media activity
- 26 years working in the industry, being a ‘dinosaur’ and starting out cashiering for an independent bookmaker
- Progressing through the ranks to work for Boylesports, Paddy Power and Bet Victor
- Moving to Gibraltar and adapting into a trading role
- Chris’s early wins and how his grandparents influenced his love for ‘the game’
- Early bookmaking experiences laying bets (and trying to arb!) on ‘The Crazy Gang’, sports days and Frank Bruno!
- How Chris never has a ‘typical’ day in his current role
- Personal betting in trading rooms
- Football, horse racing and which sports make up the majority of Bet Victor’s trading each day
- Surprising growth markets
- Affordability Checks, proposed legislation and Chris’s reflections on how we have moved from the ‘wild west’ to the current day
- Sorting the ‘shrewd’ bets from guesses, Twitter tipsters or other ‘momentum’ gambles
- A scary multiple bet with three double figure selections that nearly cost Chris’s firm dearly
- Minimum Bet Liability, Bet Victor’s attempt to launch their version of it and why it didn’t work when the big syndicates started to pick off prices
- Best Odds Guaranteed and the issues it causes for traders
- Chris’s foray into broadcasting alongside Johnny Dineen in their weekly X (Twitter) spaces horse racing chat, ‘The Morning Line’
- The lessons that gambling can teach you and how it can help you in all areas of your life
Chris was a funny, engaging and knowledgeable guest and it was great to pick the brains of somebody with such a different perspective on the industry.
If you would like to hear more from Chris then you can follow him on social media @ChrisPoole___ and this is the perfect place to find ‘The Morning Line’ every Saturday morning.